Common Uses For Coffee Filters And Dental Floss
24 May 2004
Many of the products that we have around the home each day have other uses. Two of the most versatile and cheap things to have on hand are coffee filters and dental floss. Notwithstanding their obvious uses, they can also be used as follows:
1. Filter broken cork from wine. Filter the wine through a coffee filter if you break the cork when opening a wine bottle.
2. Clean windows and mirrors. Because they are lint free, coffee filters can be used to clean windows.
3. Protect china. Put a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Put a coffee filter in skillet and it will absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Again, it is lint free.
7. Recycle frying oil. Strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
9. Hold tacos and other messy food.
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter.
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke a hole in coffee filter, insert popsicle. The filter catches the drips.
Dental Floss (Unflavored)
1. Truss poultry for cooking. Fill the cavity with stuffing and tie legs together with dental floss. Can also be used to sew the cavity closed.
2. Repair the mesh screening on playpens.
3. Cut a birthday cake into neat slices.
4. Lift cookies from a cookie sheet. Slide a strand of dental floss between fresh-baked cookies and the cookie sheet.
5. Repair a tent or backpack.
6. Sew buttons on heavy coats.
7. Hang pictures, sun catchers, or wind chimes.
8. String beaded necklaces.
9. Slice cheese.
All materials at this site not otherwise credited are Copyright (c) 1996-2004 Trip Williams. All rights reserved. May be reproduced for personal use only. Use of any material contained herein is subject to stated terms or written permission.